Tuesday, October 5, 2010

HG 1/144 Seravee Gundam GNHW/B Review (NK Tribute Pt.1)


* Box Pic From 1999.co.jp
*Life Rant...


I'm still trying to help my brothers and sisters to recover from what had just happened last 9/26, despite the fact that Law School activities have resumed, and the schedule for my Final Examination stays the same. And then I heard of Ngee Khiong shutting down his blog, which was quite surprising and sad at the same time.


Truth be told, it was through him that I fueled part of my enthusiasm for Gunpla, particularly when the RG RX-78-2 was announced (sadly its review will have to be delayed until further notice due to parts issues... '^^). Then again, when I read his last two posts, maybe he was on the right for doing so.


My take on this: if people do or do not want certain kinds of Gundams (especially when they get the Master Grade or Perfect Grade treatment), they are quite entitled to opinion, but they should be warned that their opinion, much like morals, may or may not be offensive to others. To all the haters, tread carefully when you make your point; we all have our faves and interest, at least give the rest the benefit of the doubt...


I may not have any fitting tribute for the man behind the majority of gunpla news that I receive, but I can at least dedicate this review, (and soon the RG RX-78's) to him. Thanks, NK...


*End of Life rant... Snff...



Now on to the review...


I remembered seeing this bad boy when Z reviewed it on his blog. Back when I only had Zero and Strike Freedom in my collection, I was torn up between adding the 00 Raiser + GN Sword III, the Arche, and the Reborns. Sadly, when I went to one of the toy stores in the Metro while looking for a birthday present for my Dad, I did not find any of the three... then I saw this kit...


















I opted to partly do what Z did with GN Cannons' clear parts, by using a over-the-counter ordinary green marker. It sort of worked, had it not for mee forcing one of them with the tip of my cutter. (-orz T_T)


As for the hip-mounted cannons though, I painted part of it in red, much like the clear part on the crest. It may have been contrary to the yellow that it should have, but it sort of blended with the cannons for me. (Personal preference, I guess...)






















Just standing there, it really looks much like Virtue with all those GN Condensers attached to its shoulders and legs. Did not meddle much with panel lining though as I did not have panel markers. As Z mentioned in his blog, It really was much more oriented for ground poses than aerials.


Now for some real action poses... 
[[Engaging Face Burst Mode...


[[Activating GN Condensers...
































As can be seen on the photos, Seravee does not have much close-range weapons (even Beam Sabers; you'll have to buy Seraphim for that), but no problem when it comes to ranged ones. 4 GN Cannons, 2 Large GN Cannons, and the Twin GN Bazooka II, all counting to 8 guns on this bad boy (and thus out-powering Freedom Gundam)


[[Stick 'em up, weaklings!

















Articulation, much like later model Gundams of the same lineup, are quite better; due to its design though, the PC-peg hip joint design seen on 00 and Cherudim are replaced with a Ball-Socket joint derived from Exia, et al.


The cannons on the shoulders also have some degree of movement, but they are much limited with the attached mini condensers (This also creates problems with the V-fins on Seravee's backpack...)


The lower cannons though are quite limited in movement; Bandai could have redesigned these to make it move like the ones on the Robot Damashi Seravee... 

Lame attempt at replicating Wing Zero's
'Rolling Buster Rifle' maneuver... (Orz...)

















There is not much issue on the joints as the arms can pretty much handle either bazooka without the usual sagging, as seen on the last photo.


















The 'safe end' of the GN Bazookas have some design on it as well, to have it easily dock with the top (or bottom)-mounted GN Cannons. Makes it look like an AD rendition of a FA Guncannon (if it ever existed... XD)


The setup also gave me a bit of an idea...

[[Eat this, Jebus Yamato!
*Imagine 6 beam streaks coming out of the barrels... XD
...Anyways...

















When it comes to combining the GN Bazookas however, things started to be a bit off. The Twin Bazooka slowly 'ate its way' into the elbow joints, rendering the carrying arm loose in the process.



















Good thing the arm was designed like so; the bottom end of the GN Bazooka fits well on it... (dunno how to explain this... '^^)


















Wrapping up, I have to agree on Z and all other gunpla enthusiasts who purchased this bad boy; it sure is quite a bargain to acquire if you would consider its major aspects (bulkiness, firepower, style). Even comparing it to the plain Seravee, or even with Virtue, this really is quite the epitome of bulky design, ever since the HG 00 lineup debuted. I now consider this as my fave bulky HG 00 kit from now on... ^^





2 comments:

  1. For a big daunting kit, he's quite well articulated.

    BTW, hope you don't mind... You could use a better light source... A bit too dark... =_=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, still working on the light sources; just had a rush shot of the night I arrived home.

    Will try daytime shots for Masu or Hrairoo. Thanks for the tip ^^...

    ReplyDelete